Art season has officially hit Hong Kong and we couldn’t be more excited! For several weeks, the city hosts a series of thrilling art events and becomes the perfect playground for art aficionados. You don’t even have to work in the art world to enjoy everything art season has to offer—whether you go alone or with friends, visiting all the art fairs the city has to offer right now is a must. Not only does it give you the chance to immerse yourself in the rich world of local and international art and culture, but it’s a great way for giving yourself a much-needed burst of inspiration.
Art Basel Miami Beach (2018), Photo Courtesy ArtTable
For those that are keen on visiting these art fairs, the multi-day events are the best way to learn about the latest developments in the art world, meet gallery owners from across the world, and discover new artists and trends. They’re also key events for people in the art business, from dealers and art advisors to collectors and curators, all of whom use this as a chance to wheel-and-deal. Of course, it’s also a fantastic platform for artists to promote their works on an international stage.
In Hong Kong, we’re lucky to host some of the best annual art fairs in the world. Of course, it’s been a bit tricky over the last two years, but in 2022, in-person art fairs are back with a bang! Some of our must-see events include:
- Art Basel - May 27-29, 2022
- Art Central - May 26-29, 2022
- Digital Art Fair - Sept 28-Oct 5, 2022
- Affordable Art Fair - Aug 4-7, 2022: Bamboo Scenes participated in this fair, and it was a great experience! We had so much fun selling art, socializing with fair-goers, representing artists, and most importantly, being part of a large art event with fellow galleries.
Why We Love Art Fairs
Bamboo Scenes Booth at Affordable Art Fair Hong Kong (2019), Photo Courtesy Kevin Mak
There are so many reasons to love art fair season. Of course, you just can’t help but get excited about all the art hype and the buzz around the city—everyone’s talking about the shows they’ve been to, artworks they’ve seen, and artists they’ve met. But it’s also exciting to see cities around the world celebrating art, design, performance, and all manner of creative pursuits. We may be biased, but we really don’t think they get enough love!
More than this, though, art fair season offers everyone a chance to explore art from around the world, especially from artists they might not necessarily come across under normal circumstances. It’s a great way to expand your artistic horizons. And, it’s also a great chance to socialize with curators, artists, collectors, and gallerists and have fascinating conversations—who knows, it might inspire a life-long love of art, a passion for a particular discipline, or your next purchase!
Perhaps most importantly, art fairs are a chance for everyone to get involved in the world of art. You don’t have to know your Monets from your Manets to enjoy them. Just go along and see what catches your interest—art fairs throw their doors open to everyone! If you’re inspired, there’s also a host of side programs—including talks, tours, performances, and art parties—where you can further your interests or just enjoy rubbing shoulders with the art world.
Must-Visit Art Fairs
Frieze London (2019), Photo Courtesy The Telegraph
There are so many art fairs around the world that it would be impossible to come up with a comprehensive list of must-visit art fairs. Below, you’ll find just a few of the ones that we think are the ones you’ll truly love, whether you’re novices or dyed-in-the-wool art aficionados.
- Art Cologne: As the oldest art fair in the world, this is the most important industry meeting for the art world. Galleries and institutions across Germany, and the world, gather to discover, collect, exchange ideas, and establish new contacts, as they have for generations.
- Art Basel: Perfect for artistic nomads, this international art fair holds several shows each year across the art hubs of Basel (Switzerland), Miami Beach (USA), and Hong Kong. The who’s who of the international art world descends on each, bringing together 200 leading galleries and more than 4,000 artists from five continents.
- The Armory Show: Organized by the Association of American Painters and Sculptors, New York, this show is an international exhibition of Modern Art. It brings together the world’s leading international contemporary and modern art galleries in the world’s art city, New York.
- Frieze Art Fair: Masterminded by Frieze, a Contemporary Art Magazine, this international art show hosts shows in London, New York, Los Angeles, and Seoul
- Venice Biennale: Technically, this Italian showcase is an annual cultural exhibition—but, it’s called a “biennale” because it alternates between honoring art and architecture each year. Other creative pursuits—music, film, theater, and dance—also feature.
Our Favourite Photography Art Fairs
Paris Photo (2019), Photo Courtesy Julienne Schaer, Damn Magazine
Of course, since we have a particular love of photography, we at Bamboo Scenes are big fans of the photography art shows. These are some of our favourite art shows that focus specifically on photography art.
- Paris Photo: This is the world’s largest international art fair dedicated entirety to photography, held in the arts hub of Paris.
- Photo London: This exclusive art fair brings the finest international photography art to London each year. It features the best historic works while also spotlighting the freshest perspectives and most interesting contemporary works by modern photographers.
- The PhotoGraphy Show: Presented by AIPAD—The Association of International Photography Art Dealers—this art fair brings together 49 of the world’s leading fine art photography galleries and presents a range of museum-quality works, including Contemporary, Modern, and 19th century photographs, photo-based art, video, and new media.
“05 / Sai Ying Pun” (2016) by May N. Kasahara - Hong Kong, Bamboo Scenes Booth at Affordable Art Fair Hong Kong (2019)
Since we’re officially in the midst of Hong Kong’s art fair season, we’re thrilled to be able to get out and about socializing with everyone at all the shows. Our Manager, Mei, will be visiting Art Central and Art Basel this weekend, so if you see her, don’t forget to say hi!
Interested in seeing more of our art? View the complete Bamboo Scenes collection here!